Friday, August 16, 2013

The Gables

I have several friends that have dogs that are Therapy Dog, and I know it a rewarding thing to do but I never knew how rewarding until today.

As most of you know Cash got her certification as a Therapy Dog back in March and since then we have been visiting nursing homes in the Marysville area. We stater off at a facility that I wasn't all the comfortable with. There was no guidance or instructions, so I did some asking around and we ended up at the Gables. This place is great the activities coordinator is great she knows about all of the residents and patients that are in the facility. She is able to direct me towards individuals that like dogs and those who don't get many visitors.

Today we started are visit much like last time. The coordinator Leah lead us around and asked the residents if they wanted a visit and the ones that did we went into there rooms for a short visit. One of the residents we called on wasn't feeling good but she wanted a visit anyway. Once Cash entered the room her face lit up.  She informed me that she loved the picture I left of Cash last time and that she says good morning to Cash everyday.  Cash went over to the patients bed and leaned into her so she could more easily pet her. Cash greeted her first by licking her hand then sitting still to be petted.  I her the woman whisper to Cash " I just knew you would come back, I missed your so much." Hearing her say that and seeing her response to Cash gave me goosebumps and made all the hard work we did to get Cash certified worth it.

We reluctantly left the woman;s side and went on to visit other people. As our visiting time was winding down due to Bingo starting up we went into another room. I asked the last resident if she was going to bingo in a few minutes and she said no. I told her Cash was going and then left her room. As we were heading to the bingo room for our final goodbyes for the day the last resident we visited with was in her wheelchair heading to bingo after all and asked if Cash would sit with her. We sat in for a round of bingo and were leaving when Leah said that the woman never comes out to socialize or play games. I guess Cash gave her the incentive she needed to get out and enjoy her day.

What a great experience we had today and I am such a proud doggie mom. Cash is so special in so many ways and I hope she understands what a difference she makes to those around her.



No comments:

Post a Comment